Friday 22 May 2015

Some very attractive insects

Slug moth caterpillar (Limacodidae spp.)

This is a very attractive caterpillar of a moth. The caterpillars move as if gliding on the surface, rather than walking; hence the common name.

Body of this caterpillar is armed with stinging bristles. The sting of these bristle is very painful. Their cocoons are egg-like white with hard shells.


Limacodidae spp.


Carpenter bee (Xylocopa latipes)

The other day I saw some carpenter bees making burrows for nests. There were several of these burrowing dry bamboos for housing. Carpenter bees are very helpful in pollinating flowers. Though these are capable of boring in to wood, they are very gentle in collecting pollens from flowers.

A myth is that while collecting pollens from lotus flowers they get so much engrossed in the work, that they get trapped in lotus flowers when it closes in the evening. This mighty bee, which can bore through wood, could easily bore out of the closed lotus flower. But it remains trapped in it till next morning, when the flower re-opens. What a nice poetic thought. Though the males are supposed to be harmless, the females can give a sting. But normally they are quite docile & do not sting unless handled. Their steel-blue colour is very dazzling. What a beautiful insect!


Xylocopa latipes


Calothyrza margaritifera

A few years ago I was very lucky to see this most beautiful insect, Calothyrza margaritifera on a farm in Vavoshi (a small village about 10km from Khopoli, where I visit as a Horticultural Consultant). When I saw it, it was resting on a hanging planter. I ran to bring my camera from my room; but on my way back some gardener approached me with certain urgent problem. As such I completely forgot photographing it. After about an hour I remembered the beetle; but was sure that by this time, it must have vanished. But to my great surprise, I still found it in the same place.

Its scientific name was found by my son-in-law, Col. Ashwin Baindur. He also informed me that this species is very rare in Konkan area, and it was a wonder that I could find it.


Calothyrza margaritifera


Orange Blister beetle (Mylabris pustulata)

This large and attractive beetle feeds on flowers of many species. The beetle is capable of spraying certain chemicals, which cause blisters on the skin. In its larval stage, it feeds mainly on smaller insects like aphids.


Mylabris pustulata

No comments:

Post a Comment