Thursday 3 September 2015

Making a bottle garden

Here is a video of bottle gardening. Implements to insert plants, pruning etc were made by me using old umbrella spokes. With properly designed implements, see how easy it is to make & maintain bottle gardens.





Many of my friends requested me to give details of the bottle gardening implements I made by using old umbrella spoke. So here are the details with video & images.




To make bottle gardens one needs special implements; as the opening of the bottles are very narrow. In many foreign videos, I saw that they use some very shabby apparatus, like a kitchen fork tied to a stick or a bamboo stick split. Moreover if the plants overgrow, to prune them becomes quite difficult with their implements. So by using old type umbrella spokes, I made a few implements which serve all the operations of bottle gardening.


Bottle garden implements made from umbrella spokes


Closeup of the fork


Trowel cum soil compactor

All umbrella spokes do have a fork-like joint. So I took one such forked spoke. From another spoke, I removed the forked attachment & passed a small ring made of brass wire through the already present hole on the spoke. This ring was slipped on the fork. To get proper grip of plants, I slid a small piece of polythene tube on one side of the fork. On another spoke from which to forked joint was removed, I riveted a piece of aluminium angle, which serves as a mini trowel. On the other side of the same spoke I fixed a cork (one can use wooden piece or fix M Seal plastic putty to make a cork-like part). On another spoke I fixed a shaving blade, which acts like a pruner.

No comments:

Post a Comment