Sunday 22 November 2015

Manicoba Rubber Tree. Manihot glaziovii. Family: Euphorbiaceae

Manihot glaziovii is a fast growing medium size tree. In winter it is leafless. But otherwise it is a quite attractive tree. The tree can be shaped to desired size & shape by regular trimming. I had collected a few seeds from Lalbaug Gardens at Bengaluru. A tree from a seed is now growing at Go Green Nursery in Panvel. This plant is a close relative of Tapioca shrub.

I always wondered why this tree was called as 'Manicoba Rubber tree'. One day I found that some gum had oozed out of the trunk. When I saw it, it was dry. The dry blob of the gum was only about 3mm in diameter. When I pulled it, I got the answer why it is called as a rubber tree. Some fresh gum I also applied on a polyethylene sheet like a narrow band with a camel hair brush. When dry, the band was removed and was stretched at both the ends. See it yourself in the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment