Sunday 26 November 2017

Black Turmeric (Curcuma caesia)

Rhizomes of this plant, which belongs to Haladi Family (Zingiberaceae) are used in medicines and cosmetics. They are also known as Black Zedoary, काली हलदी, काळी हळद. Rhizomes are modified stems which grow underground. They are not roots. Along with Rhizomes, these plants also produce some root tubers, which I believe do not have any known uses. When cut, the core of rhizome has bluish tinge, which quite often is very dark and looks blackish; hence the common names - काली हलदी, काळी हळद. Propagation of this plant is done by division of rhizomes.








I have planted Kali Haladi in a pot in my balcony also. On internet prices of these rhizomes are shown from Rs.10000/- to Rs.8000/- per kg. Amazon offers one plant at Rs.1499/-. Images of this Turmeric are from a farm, where we had grown it.


2 comments:

  1. I got this Black Turmeric but I don't know how to use it, can I consume it? How can I know my black turmeric is a good great ginger? After 9mths I harvest my B.Turmeric seem the bluish ring doesn't seem quite bluish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Post! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating.bulk organic black turmeric powder

    ReplyDelete